costs of war
March 20 events
GLNAWI and Nonviolent Action
GLNAWI's mission statement stresses principles of non-violence in its
actions opposing war and injustice. In order to promote safety and to protect our freedoms of speech and assembly, and to insure that the non-violent intent of the protest will not be compromised,
GLNAWI urges the following understanding for participants in
- Our words, symbols, and signs will convey respect towards all
persons, including police officers, military personnel, members of the
larger community, and those who may join in our actions.
- We will
refrain from yelling, arguing and the use of angry or offensive
language or gestures.
- We will carry no weapons.
- We will not vandalize private or public property.
- We will not use or carry alcohol or illegal drugs before or during
- We will not run or otherwise make threatening motions that may disrupt the
activity (march, vigil, picket, etc.) or be interpreted as such.
- We will refuse to retaliate with violence if threatened and will
find nonviolent ways to deal with conflict.
- We will protect those who oppose us from insult and attack.
- We will honor the emergency decisions of empowered